Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Little Filler...




For those of you who didn't know it, I am a full time firefighter when I'm not pursuing the organic lawn care biz., working on my garden, playing with my kids, or just day-dreaming about a purely agrarian lifestyle. Today was a day at the station, and what a beautiful day it was! All I could think about was getting in some dirt and soaking in the sun, but duty calls.




Anyhow, I just thought I'd post a couple of interesting links on composting, which is a vital ingredient in all things organic, plus it saves a tremendous amount of space in a landfill.












A note on compost though, beware of "industrial" compost. This includes the bagged stuff you find in lawn and garden centers, as well as compost produced by municipalities. While these products do have some soil enriching properties, their nutrient values leave something to be desired. NONE of them can compete with home made compost of leaves, veggie/fruit scraps, and local manure (horse, cow, rabbit, chicken, etc.) The bagged compost is basically industrial waste from factory farms. The municipal compost is from stuff that otherwise would be in a landfill, but it most likely is processed with sewage sludge. This sludge can be high in heavy metals (i.e. lead). So, just as with food, nothing beats "Home Grown."








No comments:

Post a Comment