Friday, March 26, 2010

No More Poison!

I've been in the green industry since before it was "GREEN." My first introduction to turf care was in 1996 when I started working for the Parks & Rec. Dept. All I knew then was "mow, blow & go" and "if a little bit's good, a lot is better." Roundup was the answer to weed-eating, gas solved the fire ant delima, and what the heck was "mulching"?
Grass not green enough? Pour out the nitrogen (via synthetic fertilizer), never mind the rate, just water the heck out of it. Flowers wilting? Double the irrigation. Weeds in the sidewalk? Hose 'em with glysophate. Leeching? Runoff?
Now, this was't the mindset of the whole department, but this was the attitude as a whole in the industry and as a "newbie," I just figured that was how it was done. I carried alot of that mentality with me when I started my own lawn care business. I learned real quick "mow, blow, and go" would not earn me quality customers and there was alot more to making the grass green than Nitrogen.
I heard the word Organic through out my twenties, and I never gave it more thought than it's something burned out hippies were into. But the more I heard about it, the more I believed there had to some truth to it. So I researched at least a hundred websites or so, read several books, I tried some of the "organic" fertilizers produced by the recognized name brands, they seemed to work well enough, but then I learned the difference between organic & organic based. There is a huge difference! Generally, an organic BASED fertilizer, derives its organic materials from industrial sources, such as sewage sludge, which is loaded with heavy metals. Not to mention, it will still, often times, be mixed with petroleum derived synthetic fertilizers. I also check out the companies who claimed to have an organic alternative to their traditional treatment regimen, but they continue to use herbicides and pesticides to treat weeds and pests. I don't know about you, but I think that defeats the purpose in offering an "organic" alternative.
I am proud to say that I can offer a truly organic product that is endorsed by the Safe Lawns Foundation, plus it is the only do it yourself system I am aware of. No more poison for me, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment